Saturday 6 June 2009

Norway: observations of a Jewish mother

"The indifference is equally surprising and upsetting. During the war in Gaza Hamas’ leader encouraged the killing of all Jews in the entire world. This was also broadcast here in Norway. I thought that important politicians or ministers would stand up and condemn these threats against one of this nation’s small minorities. I actually thought it would be a matter of course. For no ethnic group in the world "has made itself deserving" of extermination even though one may disagree with them. As far as I know there was no clear publicity about this either on the television, the radio or the press. Our own mayor was silent."

An unauthorized translation of a reader’s letter to Norway’s largest daily, Verdens Gang, printed in the paper edition on May 31st. No link to VG available as of today [June 1st].

"Elie Wiesel has made profound statements about the consequences of hatred and indifference. He warns against precisely this. In a democratic country such as Norway where human rights are constantly on the agenda I thought that we Jews would be safe.

I have not let myself be scared by the those who have warned that history may repeat itself. I am by nature an optimist. But after this winter’s events in the Middle East I am no longer as certain and secure anymore. Hatred against Jews all over the world, also in Norway, scares me.

It has among other ways been expressed through demonstrations, headings in the media and from certain politicians. The indifference is equally surprising and upsetting. During the war in Gaza Hamas’ leader encouraged the killing of all Jews in the entire world. This was also broadcast here in Norway. I thought that important politicians or ministers would stand up and condemn these threats against one of this nation’s small minorities. I actually thought it would be a matter of course. For no ethnic group in the world "has made itself deserving" of extermination even though one may disagree with them. As far as I know there was no clear publicity about this either on the television, the radio or the press. Our own mayor was silent.

In 1942 when the Jews were assembled and deported there were allegedly few or none who knew what was happening. This excuse is not valid today. The incitement to kill Jews has been made loud and clear. A lack of response to this is a sort of acceptance. Certain members of our community have also received death threats. Security in and around the synagogue has been strengthened. During the war in the Middle East it was with a heavy heart that I parted from my family every morning in order to go to work. I was fearful of potential people discovering who they were for thereafter to act in accordance with the incitement from the leader of Hamas. This was a tough time for us all and especially our children who now are youths. Much of the security they had felt earlier had gone, and they experienced the situation as very straining.

Some months have now passed since the war in Gaza, and the situation is apparently calm. In spite of this, there are cracks in my security and faith in those who govern this nation. But I hope with all my heart that those who believe history may repeat itself are wrong.

A mother."

Source: Norway, Israel and the Jews

No comments: